Friday, April 8, 2011

The Music of U2 and the 80's

   My friend (madam) Andrea V. Lisi called my attention last night about the music of U2 posted on her Facebook wall, that I eventually check....trying to comprehend her Spanish comment with the little Spanish I know having attended 4 semester of it during college...I could sense her great love with this group especially to its lead vocal Bono. Sorry Andrea, I did not take to heart my Spanish lessons but I truly can feel your passion to the band great music.
   This is how she put it in English on Tagged shout-out:
 ops, I wanted to writte in "U2"CONCERT!!!!!!.....MANY EMOTIONS....MANY EMOTIONS..NO WORDS FOR DISCRIVE IT......"U2", I'LL SEE U AGAIN......PLZ!!!!!COME BACK SOON!!!! FHER U COULD SEE I PUT IN MY FCBOOK "ONE " BUT IN SPANISH.....I WANT TO SEND U INVITATION FOR JOIN IT TOO. KISSES A LOT, MY SWEET FRIEND, ANDREA"
   Well, U2 reminds me of a friend in College, his name is Aniano and he breath and live according to the music and style of the music group. I remember I have to give him my U2 tote bag one day...details on how he convince me to give-in I could no longer recall but what I knew most about U2 and their music  from him.
   I'm a kind of person who focus on the work and not on the artist, so I can say I'm not a fan of U2 but I have a particular music from them that I really really like; the song is "With or Without You" that I still sing during karaoke session and one of the very few songs that can still make me pause and stop whatever I'm doing. I'm not sure if the groups are devout Christians but that particular song had Christian message about the death and sacrifice of Jesus...that is how I heard the song "On a bed of nail he looks my way...and you give yourself away..." 
   Aniano told me they are Christians and sometimes sang in that note, like the title of their album and song The Joshua Tree. And then There's another great song Pride (In The Name of Love);...whatever, they are one of the best in the industry.
   I belong to the New Wave and Punk music generations, having my teen spend on than rhythm and beat. The 80's have a distinct beat and sounds with drums usually on easy tempo and not much of those rolling and loudness of Rock and Roll. The 80's introduce the synthesiser disfiguring the voices of singers in futurist tone. I like the distinction though of New Wave amidst the rise of Heavy Metal...well, I like some heavy metal songs too during that time but are selected few.
   New Wave should have been classified by now and I am not in the position to do that. Music of Tears for Fears, Toni Basil, Bangles, Gogos, Wham, and my favorite Depeche Mode are among the traffic of air waves on that era. Music of 80's shows fusion of many experimental instruments and dance craze. We had the break dance and strut that evolve now into hip-hop and isolation. 
   I remember as the President of Lakandula Street Dancer we have to carry our cassettes and linoleum (dance floor) to go into showdowns. Many of my friends don't know this but I have work as dancer in clubs too... Hahahaha..I can't imagine myself now doing some bone breaking stunts and struts like a serpent. The 80's had many good love songs too but it was the dancing music that mark to me most. The fashion too became more locale...meaning the fashion came from the people and not via Armani, Gucci or D & C. You'll see boys wearing eyeliner, chains and dog-collar having studs worn by young boys and girls, mix-matching of colors came from Benetton for the more elite class while the usual black and white for the masses. There was no distinction though except bright neon colors tend to be on the happier class while the anarchy sector prefer gothic. More personalized shirts done in spray paint. For the first time safety pin became a part of decorations not hidden under ones pants. There are extreme tight pants or very loose trouser both have some difficulty wearing...you know what I mean.
   During the 80's they enthrone Michael Jackson as King of Pop and Madonna the queen. Oh I have to mention Cindy Lauper who gave us the new kind of ear in her galactic type high-pitch voice. Braver music for girls  with "Material Girl" and "Girls just want to have fun" and for boys acceptance of frailty like "Boys do fall in love"...or its counterpart "Boys Dont Cry" but the message is that of acceptance of weakness too.
  Now back to the Irish band U2, I am making a write-ups for a dear friend Madam Andrea, she doesn't want to be called madam but I add that prefix to someone I respect. It doesn't mean you are older Andrea but because I consider you as a master. So for you and to those who belong to the 80's here's a video of U2 with my favorite song...

  
   Song also goes out to fellow L.S.Dancer...especially to Pogi and Erick who now belongs in Heaven.

No comments: